Thursday, July 16, 2009

For Love of a Planetary-Sized Synth

I listen to all kinds of music. Bluegrass, Rap, Hip-Hop, Country, Rock, Pop...seriously, I listen to everything. I am always struck by the different kinds of talents that people possess, and music is a prime forum to illustrate this thought.

Who is more talented? It's much easier to compare a Mariah Carey and a Whitney Houston as opposed to comparing a Whitney Houston to a Tupac Shakur. Neither can do what the other is capable of, yet they both are able to create art and awesomeness.

I took piano lessons for several years growing up, I also played the clarinet. I was good at both, but never had the drive, desire, or most important, the natural talent to really go very far with either. I think that was somewhat of a curse for me growing up. I was able to pick up on a lot of things easily, and become moderately successful at said activities, but I never really felt connected enough to anything to pursue it intensely. No. That's not true. One year my friends and I dedicated a good deal of time to stuffing cheez balls in our mouths. I think my friend eventually became the champion when she could stuff some ungodly amount of cheez balls (like 38) in her mouth at one time.

My friend Erik is really smart. I've always known this, but recently it is becoming more and more apparent to me. He works with computers, and frankly, I couldn't explain anything that he does. I think it involves programming, maybe? Recently Erik has discovered a new passion for music. He has been layering sounds together and creating music. He just started and has already been on the radio. Every time he sends me a clip I am totally floored. I just don't understand how he can make all of the individual sounds come together like that. It's been pretty awesome to watch Erik throughout this new stage. His synthesizer is his new baby. He really loves what he is doing, and I think I sometimes forget that that is the ultimate goal in life. I feel like most people are just fumbling around in the cosmos, moderately happy, but knowing that they could be happier.

I'm always a little confused that despite my love for music, I've never really felt compelled to make it myself. Music really touches me, and can make me pretty emotional. Stephen Jenkins sang, "The four right chords can make me cry" and I completely understand. For instance, "Smash Your Head" by Girl Talk is one of my favorite songs because I tear up every time I hear it. It's not a conventional song by any means; Girl Talk is one dude named Gregg Gillis. He mashes up songs to create brilliant remixes. In "Smash Your Head" he mashes Biggie Smalls and Elton John. This particular pairing pulls at my heartstrings a bit harder than your average Girl Talk jam.

The coolest thing for me about Erik's recent endeavor is that he's not a 5 year old discovering that he is an awesome trumpet player, or a 3 year old child that is already pegged as a future Olympian. He is a regular adult, who started to dabble in something new and found something that he loves. I'm really jealous of Erik on this account. My biggest fear is of course that I somehow missed the boat, and somehow missed the opportunity to be awesome at something that I love. I doubt it though. As I have previously written I am a big believer in Fate. Everything happens for a reason, so I am positive that something led Erik to the synth, just as that same something will lead everyone else to their paintbrush, guitar, potter's wheel or...maybe a blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Alyssa. You made my day.

    I have posted some songs at the teleharmonium

    And will continue to do so every time I make something new.

    ReplyDelete